SHORT+SWEET ILLAWARRA FILM FESTIVAL
Short+Sweet Film Festival returns for its fourth year showcasing Illawarra, Australian, and International FilmMakers.
Making the world a more creative place, ten minutes at a time.
Film Submissions have now closed for our 2023 festival. Filmmakers will be notified of the outcome of their submission on or before the 15th of July. There was an exceptionally high standard of quality short films submitted, especially from our Australian Film Group. This year's festival also features a strong Illawarra film representation in both our Wildcards and Finalist filmmakers.
The Illawarra, located on the South Coast of NSW Australia, boasts an impressive theatre community with over a dozen active theatre companies and a large talent pool of actors, writers and directors. Short+Sweet Illawarra is proud to extend its festival to filmmakers in the region, providing a platform for their work to be seen alongside our Australian and international submissions.
2023 Wollongong Film Festival Screenings:
Please note, the films screened in our festival contain adult themes and may not be suitable for young viewers.
7:30pm Saturday 5th August
WILDCARD FILM FINALS | Short+Sweet Illawarra Film Festival
5 films from our Windcard screening will join our Illawarra festival finalists.
BOOK YOUR WILDCARD FINALS TICKETS NOW
3:00pm Sunday 6th August
FILIPINO FILM FINALS | Short+Sweet Manila & Cebu Film Festival (Australian Advanced Screening)
Get a first look on the big screen down-under of the finalists of the Short+Sweet Manila and Cebu Film Festival.
BOOK YOUR PHILIPPINE FINALS TICKETS NOW
Tickets $10 all tickets or 300 pesos if paying in cash at the door
4:00pm Sunday 27th August
ILLAWARRA FILM FINALS | Short+Sweet Illawarra Film Festival & Presentation
Audience and Industry judges will nominate the best short films of the festival in the Grande Finale to the Short+Sweet Illawarra 2023 Festival. Stick around after the festival to hear from some of our local filmmakers and for our official presentation.
BOOK YOUR FILM FESTIVAL FINALS TICKET NOW
All screenings at the Bridge Street Theatre Wollongong
24 Bridge Street, Coniston NSW Australia
Home of the Phoenix Theatre Company
Thank you to our sponsors SCREEN ILLAWARRA
The Short+Sweet Film Festival is unique for three distinct reasons:
For just one entry our filmmakers are in consideration for all our international film festivals, opening up their chances to have their film screened around the world. Indeed the Illawarra winners will be earning a place in our upcoming Short+Sweet Manila and Cebu Film Festivals, and our Illawarra Festival will feature several films that have already made it through to both festivals in the Philippines.
We have a very strong international network and this network is constantly expanding.
We are also unique in that we have a very strong connection to theatre. We do not believe the gap between theatre and film should be so wide and we aim to bridge this gap. With our close partnership with our sister theatre festival, we encourage theatre and film practitioners to be one and the same.
We screen all sorts of films and all sorts of genres and support all sorts of filmmakers from seasoned pros to emerging artists.
This festival hasn't posted any news articles yet.
Thank you for your interest in submitting to the SHORT+SWEET ILLAWARRA FILM FESTIVAL!
All our short films are submitted via FILMFREEWAY.
CLICK HERE to go to our Filmfreeway submission page.
If you are unable to make payment for, or cannot afford the submission fee. You can apply for a fee waiver code.... read more
Deadlines and Submission Fees
All submission fees are in Australian Dollers ($ AUD)
Standard: $20 (Late Deadline: $30)
Student/FilmFreeway Gold Members: $15 (Late Deadline: $25)
Standard: $25 (Late Deadline: $35)
Student/FilmFreeway Gold Members: $20 (Late Deadline: $30)
Standard: $30 (Late Deadline: $40)
Student/FilmFreeway Gold Members: $25 (Late Deadline: $35)
Films selected for our Gala Final screening will recieve one complimentary ticket to the screening subject to seating availability.
Standard Submission Deadline: 31 MAY 2023
Late Deadline (Final): 30 JUNE 2023
TERMS & CONDITIONS
By entering your film to Short+Sweet Film Festival Illawarra, you are agreeing to the following:
1. The running time of my film is 10 minutes or less (inclusive of credits). Films longer than 10 minutes will not be considered, and entry fee will be forfeited.
2. I am the creator of the Film and I give permission for the film to be presented at any Short+Sweet festival or event for which it is eligible. If I am not the (sole) creator of the film, I warrant that I have obtained all necessary permissions of writers, originators or contributors.
3. Should my film be selected for a S+S Festival or event, I understand I will receive no royalties or other payment for any screenings, live or virtual, but may be eligible for awards and professional development opportunities.
4. I understand that my film will be assessed by a selection committee and that no communication will be entered into by S+S regarding this process. The selection decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
5. I give S+S the right to screen/record/photograph my film for archival, marketing and publicity purposes (including in unpaid public forums such as YouTube, Vimeo or similar).
6. A film which has been publicly screened in the host city of any S+S Festival is still eligible for entry and consideration in any of our S+S Festivals and Cities.
7. All plays which have been adapted into films must have the permission of the playwright.
8. I understand copyright material cannot be used unless I have documentation to prove legal authorisation from the musician, artist, writer or record label.
9. I may also be required to provide Actor Release Forms to be signed by the people appearing in the film.
10. I understand that films in any language are eligible, but must be subtitled in English.
11. The festival is open to filmmakers of all ages and levels of experience.
12. All content submitted must be in accordance with the law and any perceived illegal activity will be reported to the appropriate authorities.
13. I understand that if my film is selected as a finalist, I will be required to provide Short+Sweet with the highest quality of recording of the film so that it can be screened.
14. No restrictions on the device(s) used to record or create video and audio.
15. No restrictions on software used to create, edit or enhance video and audio.
16. The festival is open to filmmakers of all ages and levels of experience.
17. Entry to Short+Sweet Film Illawarra is free for local artists. The cost of entry to the international festival is US$20 for international submissions and US$13 for Australian submissions outside the Illawarra/South Coast.
The personal information provided by you will only be used by us for Short+Sweet Festivals, competitions and related activities, and to communicate with you about those activities. You can opt out of these at any time by responding to any emails received with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line or the body of an email.
FESTIVAL AWARDS AND PROGRESSION
Our Film Festival has 6 Major Awards presented at the end of the Gala Final Screening. These are Best Film, People's Choice Award, Best Illawarra Film, Best Australian Film, Best International Film and the Festival Director's Award.
Our judges will vote for films at the live screening, and will issue the following awards:
* BEST FILM
* Best Illawarra Film
* Best Australian Film
* Best International Film
PEOPLES CHOICE WINNER
Our audience attending the event vote for their top three films across (all three film groups), ranked from 1st to 3rd preference. A film receiving a first place vote will be given 3 points, with 2nd preference receiving 2 points, and 3rd place receiving 1 point. Votes are tallied and the film with the highest votes will be crowned the PEOPLES CHOICE WINNING FILM of 2023.
FESTIVAL DIRECTOR AWARD
Our Festival Director will also select one film for the Festival Director's Pick to the most outstanding film that did not win any categories in the Judges or Audience voting. It may be awarded to a film for outstanding merit, or as an encouragement award to recognise the work done by exceptional filmmakers.
It should be noted that while our festival is not rich with prizemoney, it does offer a wonderful opportunity for progression. While our winning films are often selected by other Short+Sweet Festivals such as Short+Sweet Hollywood, Sydney, Essex and many more - our winning films will be screened in the following locations:
BEST FILM & PEOPLES CHOICE WINNER
Will be shown in the International Film Section at the Gala Final of Short+Sweet Manila
BEST ILLAWARRA & AUSTRALIAN FILM
Will be shown in the International group at Short+Sweet Cebu and Manila (Semi-Finals)
BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM
Will be shown in the International group at Short+Sweet Cebu and Manila (Semi-Finals) unless the winner is a Filipino filmmaker, in which case it will be shown in the Filipino Manila or Cebuano group.
FILM FESTIVAL SCHEDULE
SHORT+SWEET ILLAWARRA FILM FESTIVAL
WILDCARD FINALS | 2 PM SUNDAY 6 AUGUST
SHORT+SWEET MANILA FILM FESTIVAL
(Advanced Screening) | 4:30 PM SUNDAY 6 AUGUST
SHORT+SWEET ILLAWARRA FILM FESTIVAL
FINALS | 4:30 PM SUNDAY 27 AUGUST
All screenings at the Bridge Street Theatre, Coniston