Thank you for your interest in directing for Short+Sweet Sydney 2024!
We welcome directors from all walks of life, from professional directors to enthusiastic first timers. Everyone will be given consideration. You'll be asked to submit a cv or any relevant information to us.
If you are selected as a director, you will be sent all the relevant information regarding selecting your script and the festival dates.
Our Festival Director will get back to you as soon as possible and no later than October 1st 2023.
As the director, you would be responsible for selecting your play out of the shortlisted scripts. You will cast your play from the Short+Sweet auditions and guide your actors through rehearsals and make sure they are ready to perform. While ensuring you are staying true to the artistic vision and intent of the writer, you will be trusted to bring a script to life with your unique vision and leadership.
- If you are selected, you will read through all our shortlisted scripts from local and international entrants and nominate your script preferences
- You will be allocated a script and will be introduced to your writer.
- Your first duty is to respect the intent of the writer while bringing your own experience, style, and vision to bring the script to life
- Cast your actors from our open auditions
- Secure a rehearsal space, and prepare your play for performance
- You will decide your set, props, costume, and lighting/sound
- You will be responsible for liaising with the Festival Director and provide rehearsal updates throughout the rehearsal period and attend production meetings
Directing for Short+Sweet Sydney is more than just sitting in the director's chair, it is an opportunity to get a crash course in producing your own projects from the ground up, with the advantage of having the support of the Short+Sweet Sydney production team.