Short+Sweet Essex 2022
The biggest little play festival in the world is now coming to the England and the first ever Short+Sweet theatre festival will be held in Essex in September 2022. Short+Sweet will showcase a variety of 10-minute plays to delight your tastebuds, with talented actors, writers and directors showcasing their skills and bringing you a wonderful season of short theatre.
Our vision is simple – a more creative world 10 minutes at a time!
We are inviting all writers to create a 10-minute script, all directors to direct a 10-minute play and of course, all actors to perform in our 10-minute play festival. Independent theatre companies are also invited to enter. Short+Sweet is a global festival brand, presenting highly successful theatre and film festivals around the world. It is a unique opportunity for emerging, developing and established artists to increase their skills of creation and performance.
The Short+Sweet festival is a wonderful tool for writers, directors and actors who want to share their voice and talent in a professional environment and venue. Its goal is to become a powerful tool for diversity in the entertainment industry, as well as providing a way to discover new or established local talent by engaging more people in the live theatre experience.
We are now inviting all writers to submit a script, whether you are established or first-time, it is open to anyone who wants to have a go. There are no limits to the creativity or content of your scripts, only that it can be performed in 10 minutes or under.
If you have a passion for the theatre and would like to be a part of a great team, we have roles waiting for you behind the scenes in production, props, front of house, sponsorship and more! We also have some amazing opportunities for partnership and sponsorship. So, if you and your organisation would like to get involved then please let us know - we'd love to hear from you!
This festival hasn't posted any news articles yet.
This festival doesn't have any active submission
We welcome professional and enthusiastic amateurs’ actors alike. Everyone will be given consideration.
Before registering, please check the key festival dates and make sure you’ll be available. This festival is a commitment and you need to make sure you have the time and passion to participate.
Auditions will be taking place in July sometime. We have yet to confirm an exact date, however, we will of course keep you updated.
If you are selected as an actor, you will be contacted by the director of one of the plays you have been selected for.
To register your interest as an actor please click here
Writers & Script Submission
To submit your script please click here - there is a small fee of $20 AUD (approx. £10 GBP) per script submitted. Writers can submit more than one play for consideration.
Scripts will be assessed by a panel of judges, then the highest rated scripts will be shortlisted and made available for our directors to choose to direct at Short+Sweet Essex 2022.
We do not restrict the content of your ten-minute theatre vision. We simply require your play to run ten minutes or less.
Closing Date for script submissions: May 15th 2022
Terms and Conditions
For the full Terms and Conditions of submitting a script to Short+Sweet, please see below. Please read carefully before submitting! Any entry which does not comply with the Terms and Conditions will be deemed ineligible.
Of particular note: DO NOT write the authors name anywhere on scripts. This enables judging to be anonymous when selecting the final plays for the festival.
If you want to submit more than one script, please fill in a separate form for each submission you want to send.
Scripts and ITC Submissions
By entering your script to Short+Sweet you are agreeing to the following:
NB: "Script" referred to here covers all classifications of submitted work; be it musical composition, choreographic dance work, play script or otherwise devised piece submitted for the purpose of performance within Short+Sweet.
1. The running time of my script is 10 minutes or less. (Scripts clearly longer than 10 minutes will not be considered and any entry fees paid are forfeited.)
2. As the writer/creator of the script I hereby give permission for the organisers to present the work at any of the Short+Sweet festivals it is eligible for. If I am not the writer/creator (or sole writer/creator) of the idea, story, script, theatre work or any material used in the creation of the theatre work it is my responsibility to gain permission from all other contributors to present the work at Short+Sweet - and to fulfil all conditions set by those writers, originators or contributors to present the work at Short+Sweet.
3. Should my script be selected for Short+Sweet I understand I will receive no royalties for those performances but will be eligible for prizes and professional development opportunities.
4. If my script is selected, I give Short+Sweet the right to film/record/photograph it for marketing and publicity purposes. This also includes archival, marketing or publicity purposes in an unpaid public forum such as YouTube.
5. Although Short+Sweet aims to honour the writer/creator's intentions in staging their script, I understand that in order to have my script produced at Short+Sweet my script may need to be altered by the actors and director producing my script, due to staging restrictions or the work running over 10 minutes. Short+Sweet Directors are instructed that any additions, omissions, or alterations in the manuscript of the play must be made with the written consent of the writer.
6. Scripts are assessed anonymously to ensure the highest standards of fairness and objectivity. In order for writers to remain anonymous to assessors they must NOT put their name anywhere on the script(s) they are submitting, including in the document's filename.
7. PDF, doc and docx are the preferred file formats.
8. Scripts which have been performed in the host city of any of our festivals are not eligible for production in that city. For example, if your play has been performed in Sydney and Sydney only, it cannot be performed in Short+Sweet Sydney but is still eligible for all of our other festivals.
9. If Short+Sweet, for any reason, believes the above criteria has not been met then my play will be withdrawn from Short+Sweet and the entry fee forfeited.
The personal information that you provided on your Short+Sweet entry and your script will only be used by Short+Sweet. Your personal information may be used to communicate with you about Short+Sweet and other Short+Sweet related activities. You can opt out of these communications at any time by responding to any emails received with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line or the body of an email.
Registrations for Short+Sweet festivals are open every year to returning, established and first-time directors. Short+Sweet is the perfect opportunity for actors, writers or anyone to try directing for the first time. Directors are able to choose from all shortlisted scripts for their local festival, and are encouraged to communicate with their Writers throughout the process.
Directors cannot act in their own play unless they enter the production as an ITC (Independent Theatre Company) which is where the play, Director and cast are all already attached and submit directly to the Festival Director. Directors are allowed to direct a maximum of one play in Short+Sweet, unless otherwise granted permission by the Festival Director.
To register as a director please click here
To register as an ITC (Independent Theatre Company), we want you to sell us the idea for your show. What makes it unique? And why is your team perfectly suited?
In your registration, we ask that you include a script or concept – this can just be a one-page pitch if no script is available yet.
To register as an ITC please click here